The last couple of weeks have been a roller coaster. Snow early last week and 75 this Sunday. I will be turning on the irrigation system on Monday. This takes several hours. We need to fill up the pipes and then we check each head to make sure they are working properly. I'm a little concerned because of the cold winter created a deeper frost level. Hopefully, we don't have any leaks. Jose is very good at fixing most of these problems.
Last Thursday, I made my first chemical application to the greens. I apply a product that helps prevent Poa annua seed heads from developing. I use a system that tracks growing degree days. I get emails and watch their maps. It makes timing of this application much more accurate.
This is a spot on fairway #17. We had winter kill on several fairways mostly on the back nine. I purchased seed and will get a seeder for this week. We will mark these areas as I seed them with white paint. Play as ground under repair. It should germinate and fill in quickly. The reason for the damage was a combination of a cold and a snowy winter. The areas that were hit the worst have poor drainage. Our greens and tees had minimal damage. Many courses in Chicago had damage to their greens and are playing on temporary greens.
Saturday, the Easter Bunny made its annual visit to the club.