Here are some of the steps in fixing drainage problems. We identify the wet area and try and find a working drain line. We then trench to the pipe, add pea gravel and pipe and put the sod back. We also add catch basins in the low areas. A big problem we face is when new irrigation was added in 2003, many working drain lines were cut and never repaired. This really became evident last summer with the heavy rains. The last couple of weeks, we concentrated on fairway #17. I would like to add about 4 more lines there before we move on to #14 fairway. With improved drainage, we should see healthier turf and the ability to get carts out a couple of days sooner.
With the heavy rains this week, we have been unable to do much mowing. Friday we were able to cut greens and tees. This weekend we will try and mow fairways and rake the bunkers and mow greens again on Sunday. I'm hoping we can let carts out on the front Saturday and cart paths only on the back.
I plan on adding a 4th seasonal worker on the 12th. The 3 seasonal workers on staff now all have experience. That helps me and Jose work on other projects instead of training.